Our Father in heaven, may your name be honored. May your kingdom come soon. May your will be done here on earth, just as it is in heaven. Give us our food for today, and forgive us our sins, just as we have forgiven those who have sinned against us. And don’t let us yield to temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.
Matthew 6:9-13 NLT
I want to pray more, but sometimes I don’t feel like I know how to pray, or what I should say. I wonder if it really makes a difference; won’t God just do what He wants anyway?
Has anyone ever had these thoughts before? Do you wonder why the Lord wants us to pray, when He is sovereign over the earth and He knows what’s best for all of us?
The Lord wants a relationship with us, and a relationship involves conversation; getting to know each other. Prayer is conversing with God. Talking to Him about your day, your passions and your fears and then listening for His reply.
1. Prayer is not – making speeches to God; long, eloquent, talks with fancy words. Just be yourself.
2. Prayer is not – a magic slot machine. “I hope, I hope, I hope, I get what I want!” Prayer changes us and brings us closer to God.
3. Prayer is – a conversation between two people that love each other. Don’t do all the talking, listen for the Lord’s reply. That still small voice in your head is the Lord speaking to you.
4. Prayer is – about sharing your life with God. Even if you get distracted, talk to God about those things too.
5. Prayer is not – about being “good enough”. It’s true, we aren’t. But Jesus is. We come to the Father in the name of Jesus. It’s because of Jesus that the Lord hears us.
Talk to your friend, the Lord Almighty that loves you, He is waiting to hear from you today.
Prayer: Dear Heavenly Father, thank you, that you want to hear from us. Help us to seek You more often in prayer, that we may know You more and grow in our faith. Amen.